Monday, October 1, 2007

What does Richard "hunger" for?

When the question what does Richard "hunger" for is asked the obvious thing that pops into my mind is food. Richard's family is very poor so they are in a constant struggle for enough money to feed everyone. Being a very poor family Richard is always hungry so it makes sense that food is something he is "hungry" for.
Digging deeper into the true meaning of the question though, i think that Richard hungers for freedom. Richard is forced to live in many unfortunate places like a foster home or his grandma's extremley religious house, both of which Richard wants nothing more than to gain the freedom to leave as is represented when Richard runs away from the foster home. Richard doesnt think that it's fair to have to go to a religious school taught by his aunt that he doesnt get along with and wants the freedom to go to the school that he wants. Richard also wants the freedom to work on saturdays, something that all the other kids can do but because of his grandma's strict rule Richard isn't allowed to. Richard eventually does diffy his grandma much to her dismay and takes a job finally reaching a certain level of his freedom.

9 comments:

Reka F said...

I like how you provide analysis on both the more obvious level of the question and the part where hunger means more than just food.

Richard does yearn for freedom in parts of the book and your examples explain that very well.

Chris G said...

I agree that richard hungers for freedom.
He has been oppressed all of his life and wants to get away. This drives his decisions to steal and to rebel from his family.

Nora said...

Its good that you got the literal hunger of Richard out of the way first. A main thing Richard noticed was that the hunger for food truely stared when Richard's father left, because he was the primary monetary source for their family. As for the freedom part, I definatly agree. His constant urge to rebel is cause of him wanting to be a free individual and thats why he fights, wont cooperate with his families religious wishes, and doesn't say the principles speech. I think Richard hungers ALOT more though, such as acceptance, knowledge and to be a writer.

Teddy H. said...

I agree with your post. The main thing I am finding as I read these blogs is how the main hunger of Richard's is the hunger for freedom. I wish I thought of that... Anywho, you not only prove your points, but you managed to do so in a simple, easy to read "dose." I admire that, it takes skill (that I obviously am lacking!). Super job!

Hannah N said...

I completely agree with your post, expecially the part about Richard being hungry for freedom. Your examples were very good as well. Richard definitely hungers for the freedom that he had been denied al of his life. It is clear as the story continues that the only way for Richard to end that hunger would be to move out and move up north.

Peter said...

Ah, freedom. It does seem that Richard longs to be free; great point about how it is because his family is poor. Lack of money means lack of opportunity? Yes, I think so.
I never though about the religious aspect of his life very much; I guess he feels entangled in his family's choice of religion and is always rebelling against the idea of going to church, etc. Good thoughts, mr. kyle.

p. rothmeier

Kenzie T. said...

It was good how you mentioned both his literal hunger and his hunger for freedom. I think that Richard desires more than just the freedom to make his own choices, though. I think deep down he really wants to be on his own and forget about the many bad memories he's had with his family.

RJ S. said...

I like how you said that Richard hungers for freedom. I didn't think of that when I was writing. I agree with what you said about him hungering for food, I said that in mine too. Overall I agreed with what you said.

Dan P. said...

I did not think of freedom when I was thinking of what Richard hungers for, but now that I see it I can completly see how that works.
He has been restrained his whole life by everybody he meets, and he just wants to escape.